I had a thought and decided to write it down. Welcome to the rantings of someone who decided to write down his thoughts on mysticism, politics, anthropology, science, and art.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Balancing of Evils : Occupy Wall Street

So the Occupy Wall Street protests are still going on. All I have to say is : good.

Here's the problem with the political spectrum today : the emergence of the Tea Party as a serious political party has moved the political spectrum so far to right that what is considered "moderate" is is now very liberal. Ronald Reagan, the god and savior of the Republicans is, by their current standards, a fairly liberal liberal (as opposed to a conservative or moderate liberal).

But these protests are so far to the left that they almost seems like they are on the right. As Scott Sworts pointed out to me when he went to New York last week, if you replaced the college kids, hippies, punks, hipsters, and the likes with balding, gray, white men over the age of 35, it would be a Tea Party rally. This is what we need : something so far to the left that it can balance out America's political spectrum.

Now, I must point out that I do not entirely agree with everything these far-left protesters are rallying behind. I don't believe in the end of Federal government, I think the bailouts for Wall Street were necessary to prevent the country from falling into an actual depression, and so forth. But are these protests necessary? Absolutely, and no question about it. The Tea Party has caused the political scales of America to tip so far to the right that the scales are about to fall off the table and crash to the floor. What we need is balance, and the means to create such a balance is necessary. It's not even a necessary evil, it's just plain necessary.

And what do these protests start to look like when one really analyzes them? They remind me of the birth of the Tea Party. Is it difficult to imagine an emergence of an ultra-left wing party? I think not. And I welcome it with open arms, for no other reason than to balance the scales again.

One reason I support these protests is that Anonymous is behind it (the infamous hacker group that embraces the ideology of V For Vendetta). Not that I agree with everything Anonymous does (or hardly anything), but they, I think, are a necessary evil. Their methods may be too radical for my tastes, and even their ideology is too left wing for me, but the potential outcome of their work I am hopeful for. Anonymous has no control over the outcome of what they are doing. What they are doing will either make the world a better place, or it will destroy everything. They can't control the outcome, they just have to keep doing what they are doing and hope that the outcome is positive. It's a bit like an anti-depressant, we have to hope that they make us better before we want to kill ourselves. But what better choice do we have? Let the Tea Party rape this country of everything worthwhile that it has and leave the rest of the country in a state of absolute destitution? I vote for the anti-depressant method if push comes to shove, and there are no other options. I vote for the better of the evils (whether that evil is greater or lesser, whatever gets things back into balance).

I don't want to be too assuring, but I feel these protests will escalate. The Occupy Wall Street protest is still growing, and smaller ones are spreading to other cities. But Mayor Bloomberg already plans on shutting down these protests on Wall Street in a few more days. Does anyone think everyone is going to go pack their bags, go home, and reminisce about their experience, like it was some sort of Widespread Panic concert? I doubt it. Let's just hope this doesn't end up with the US military being called in to remove the protesters, and we get a massacre like we did in the Detroit riots in the 1960s.

All it will take is one death for this whole situation to blow up out of control that even the President of the United States of freaking America could not touch it. The scales are so crooked that this could happen. One death and the war is lost. See why we need some balance?

Just vote for Cthulhu, because I'm sick of cheering for the lesser evils.

No comments:

Post a Comment